Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Buzo, the gentle giant.

One Great dane, Buzo lives in our building. As a neighbor we knew each other and we knew about each others pets too. Every morning our communities strays and a heavy voiced dog are put into discussion about the area, as it belongs to whom and hearing that I knew that Buzo is going for the walk. As the discussion was too loud between the strays and Buzo that it worked as a alarm for us everyday. One day passed and Buzo did not came down for the walk, I thought maybe the owner is not home today, as only the ladies husband takes him for walk because he is too big to be handled by woman and almost drags the handler behind. The other day also passed and he did not came, I thought may be they are gone out of the city so they left Buzo to their friends place. Eight-Nine days past and still I did not see Buzo anywhere. One evening when I was walking in the society's compound I saw their son coming from somewhere.I called him to ask if Buzo is not here and to my surprise he said Buzo was admitted in the hospital and was given drip and blood and the doctors have said that its the case of intestinal failure. So whatever he is eating is coming out immediately in jelly like stool, he was having bloody stools and not just few drops or clots but it was just fresh blood every time, his stomach and intestines cannot hold the food. Buzo has become so thin and do not know how many days he can live.I was stunned to hear that how a healthy n such playful dog has gone this far, It was second time i heard this thing that some healthy dog suddenly fell ill and going to die, not to remind my Google was the first one.
I immediately went to see him and found him so weak, he did not had the energy to stand on his own and the whole place had a foul smell even after the room was nicely cleaned with so much antiseptic solution. As soon as Buzo heard my voice and saw me he wagged his tail but slowly, it looked like his eyeballs were pushed inside. He slowly placed his head in my hands and his eyes explained all his misery and helplessness. The lady said the same things to me as his son has already explained. Buzo looked very thin and pale, all his bones on his spine can be counted. I asked her to show me the medication given by the doctors. They showed me the bag, full of supplements and no particular medicine which can cure. I saw 3-4 variety of supplements and no antibiotic or any drug to stop the loose motion first. I was speechless, what kind medication is this? As far as I know supplements goes parallel with the corrective drug and after that to regain the strength of the body but here the doctors have not given any medication yet. I asked if they had given any anti biotic injection in the drip then show me the file made for him and she said no I remember there was nothing. I said send your son with me at my home and I will give you Dependal-M give one every 12 hour and he might be back in life. I asked her to give him medicine first and few minutes later some light food like, boiled potato and mix some green gram (moong) broken wheat (daliya)  and boil and make it like a thick soup and give a cup of that after one hour. She was still worried cause she was confident that he will poop as soon as he will eat potato.I said trust me and try this once nothing will happen. And if he is really dying then also you try whatever comes your way. She agreed, her son took the medicine from me and I told him that I will come after one hour to see if he ate well and retained in his stomach. I was worried too  and as usual read some material online about intestinal failure in dogs, but did not found anything satisfactory. After one hour I went to their house, my fingers were already crossed, she opened the door with so much joy and said it worked wonder, he had that potato and a cup of daliya and still fine and I knew it worked.  I said, now he will be fine. I reminded them to give the other dose exactly after 12 hours as we need to end the circle of reproduction of bacteria's. She started saying that they spend about forty thousand rupees on his 10 days hospitalization and all supplements and I laughed that how you only needed five rupees to make him healthy(10 tablets costs around five rupees). I said its the medicine we humans can take when the stomach is upset when we suffer from bacterial infection. Next day morning I went to see Buzo and she told me that she has already given the medicine and he did not do anything whole night and in morning the condition of the poop was incredibly sound and now even she is convinced that he will be fine now. I kept visiting Buzo and he was regaining his health everyday. He suffered severe bacterial infection, which was cured after five days with 10 tablets of Dependal-M. She later on told me that she saw so many dogs dying in the hospital in her 10 days visit because of the bloody stools and no proper medication in time.
Two months have already passed and Buzo is absolutely normal now, in fact it dose not look like he ever fell that ill. I am not a vet but I wonder at times are the vets here so fool or I am so extraordinary intelligent to cure two different breeds suffering from different disease altogether. Whatever, I am so happy that I saved two lives lying on the death bed. When Buzo started to walk on the road to recovery, the lady came to me with the bowl full of sweets and asked humbly that what gift I want in return as her husband is mad for Buzo and wants to give me something special, I smiled at her and said I have already got what I was looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment